Effective from 1 January 2015, all students enrolled in nationally recognised training, will be required to provide their registered training organisation (RTO) with their USI and date of birth. Registering for a USI is simple and the registration process is available online and at no cost to the student. This USI will stay with the student for life and be recorded with any nationally recognised VET course that is undertaken.
Students can now create a USI by following the process below:
- Log on to http://portal.usi.gov.au/student
- When applying for a USI, students will be required to supply one of the following valid Australian forms of ID:
- Driver's Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport)
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
Language and cultural diversity
1. In which country were you born?
2. Are you an Australian Citizen or New Zealand Citizen or Australian Permanent resident?
3. Do you speak a language other than English at home?
4. How well do you speak English?
5. Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin?
6. Do you consider yourself to have a disability, impairment or long-term condition?
If you indicated the presence of a disability, impairment or long-term condition, please select the area(s) in the following list:
You may indicate more than one area
7. What is your highest COMPLETED school level?
8. Are you still attending secondary school?
9. Have you SUCCESSFULLY completed any of the following qualifications?
10. If YES, then tick ANY applicable boxes.
11. Of the following categories, which BEST describes your current employment status?
12. Of the following categories, which BEST describes your main reason for undertaking this course/traineeship/apprenticeship?